Now Available – Lab-Grown Diamond Sourcing!
If you haven’t heard already, the VDB App has released a complete offering of lab-grown diamonds! Twelve lab-grown suppliers (with more to come), more than 4,800 lab-grown diamonds, and – of course – all the features you’ve come to expect from VDB, like lab reports, high quality photography, and 360-degree views. Now it’s easier than ever to source, buy, and sell lab-grown diamonds!
If you’ve already begun to sell lab-grown in your collections or in your store, you know there are some details that need to be covered. And if you are still in the lab-grown exploration phase, you’re probably wondering what to watch out for! So we created this handy-dandy checklist of things to think about, consider, and prepare as part of your lab-grown diamond offering. Here we go!
Lab-Grown Diamond Checklist
- Choose your partners carefully. Lots of lab-grown facilities are springing up all over the world, and some have more, ahem, above-board practices than others! So make sure you’re working with a lab-grown partner who follows the FTC’s Jewelry Guides regarding disclosure, is working with excellent cutters, and has some longevity and business experience behind them. A good place to start is with the suppliers we’ve chosen to participate in the VDB App!
- Segregate your inventory! Set up an entirely separate storage system for your lab grown diamonds, so they will never ever get accidentally mixed in with your mined diamonds!
- Invest in a lab-grown detection device, so you can quickly identify a lab-grown diamond. This is something all diamond dealers and sellers should invest in anyway – even if you’re not carrying lab-grown. Not sure what to buy? Check out this article from National Jeweler reviewing detection devices.
- Read the Guides! The FTC Jewelry Guides contain important information about how to sell and promote lab-grown (and lots of other information you need to run a compliant jewelry business). You can find the Guides here: FTC GUIDES
- Get your vocabulary in order! You don’t want your team referring to lab-grown diamonds with a lot of different terms. Choose the terminology that works for your business (Lab-grown? Man made? Synthetic?) and stick with it. Consider both the marketing implications and the clarity of the term you choose, because the law says you must distinguish between lab-grown and mined in a way that is obvious to your buyer.
- Educate your staff! Invest in the training your team needs to discuss lab-grown diamonds with consumers and/or retail clients.
Let The Vdb App Help You
And of course, we have a bonus tip: Use the VDB App! We’ve made it easy for you to search, source, buy, and sell lab-grown diamonds with the best possible suppliers. Check out our exciting selection of lab-grown diamonds, in the app, today!